I recently made the switch to being Gluten Free for health reasons. At first I thought it was a horrible diagnosis to not be able to use flour. After all, I love to cook so much I have a blog! However, being now three months in to the diet, I have to honestly say that I haven’t found a reason to miss gluten, except for a chewy piece of french bread
We went to a friend’s house the other evening, and I had previously told her of my new diet. I felt bad because I’ve never really understood people and all their nit-picky diet things…I know, I know. So, maybe this is sweet-justice that I now have to be extra careful what I eat! Anyway, she was so accommodating, and made the most delicious dinner and dessert…all without gluten! Her dessert was a moist yet light, rich flourless chocolate cake with a strawberry coulis sauce and ice cream!
With that introduction, I give you the most delicious flourless chocolate cake recipe ever. It’s as creamy as pumpkin pie and as full-bodied as a dark chocolate bar. Even if I weren’t cooking gluten-free on purpose, I would never bake another chocolate cake with flour in it…EVER!
Flourless Chocolate Cake
8 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
5 large eggs, room temperature and separated
2/3 cup sugar (I use Madhava Organic Coconut Sugar)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Grease 9″ springform pan.
3. Melt butter and chocolate chips together in microwave or double-boiler, cool.
4. Mix egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together in a small bowl.
5. Beat egg whites and salt together in a mixer until stiff.
6. Fold chocolate mixture into yolk mixture.
7. Fold egg whites carefully into chocolate and yolk mixture. Do not over-mix.
8. Pour into springform pan.
9. Bake 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
10. Remove from oven. Remove springform. Cool completely.
11. Serve with a coulis sauce, ice cream, whipped cream, or all three!